Date:      Fri, 03 Oct 1997 17:31:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Greg Pavelcak <gpavelcak@philos.umass.edu>
To:        Nicolas Souchu <Nicolas.Souchu@prism.uvsq.fr>
Cc:        Nicolas Souchu <Nicolas.Souchu@prism.uvsq.fr>, Greg <gpavelcak@philos.umass.edu>, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppbus problems

ppbus problem update edited by me (Greg) informing Mr. Souchu of
results. Using ppbus, I got this dmesg and system would just hang when
I tried fdisk.

ppc0 at 0x278 irq 12 flags 0x1 on isa
ppc0: Generic chipset in NIBBLE mode
plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus 0
nlpt0: <generic printer> on ppbus 0
nlpt0: Interrupt-driven port
ppi0: <generic parallel i/o> on ppbus 0
vpo0: <Adaptec aic7110 scsi> on ppbus 0
scbus0 at vpo0 bus 0
sd0 at scbus0 target 6 lun 0
sd0: <IOMEGA ZIP 100 D.13> type 0 removable SCSI 2
sd0: Direct-Access
sd0: UNIT ATTENTION asc:28,0
sd0:  Not ready to ready transition, medium may have changed
862MB (196608 4592 byte sectors)

>Nicolas Souchu wrote:
>
> I suspect data corruption... Please, try without any disk inside the drive
> during boot. Try fdisk once the system is started (without any disk either),
> you should get "medium not present" error. Then try with a disk inserted.
>
> --
> Nicolas.Souchu@prism.uvsq.fr
> FreeBSD - Turning PC's into workstations - http://www.FreeBSD.org

I tried this. I don't remeber the boot message when I booted without
the disk, but fdisk still hung. I did not get "medium not present".
I've since built a kernel with ppa3. I'm having better luck with that.
Of four disks, I was able to fdisk all of them, mount and ls 2 of
them (the other 2 I could apparently mount, but they showed nothing on
ls and I know there's stuff there) and copied some stuff from one to
my hard drive. These were all msdos formatted. I couldn't disklabel
any of them. Something about no available space.

Anyway thanks for all the help. I'm willing to keep trying with ppbus,
if you have any other ideas.

Greg