Date:      Thu, 07 Aug 2008 13:41:54 +1000
From:      Michael Vince <mv@thebeastie.org>
To:        Sharkie <shark.fin.soup@mac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Performance of Java on FreeBSD vs. Linux and others

You could try the latest SPECjvm2008 which is now available for free for
download and do some benchmarking for us, I don't think many people
really know where FreeBSD stands on Java.
I did run through the test on FreeBSD with no problems, its pretty good
as it creates a HTML table of the results at the end.
I didn't much time as well as have anything to compare it to, I tried to
run it on a Windows desktop but it won't run as MS has deliberately
designed windows non server for a low amount of threads so it fails a
lot of the tests etc.

http://www.spec.org/jvm2008/

If you were able to spot bottle necks in FreeBSD they tend to get fixed,
the problem tends to be finding them, just like how they found kernel
locking issues on UDP protocol performance these are now fixed but only
after they were pulled to light.

Regards,
Mike