Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2007 17:57:04 -0400
From:      John Walthall <jzw@authority.vistua.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   HP Desktjet D1420 detected by Freebsd, but not CUPS

Hullo,

I have a brand-new Hp Deskjet d1420 which is perfectly detected by
FreeBSD:
~ % usbdevs
addr 1: UHCI root hub, VIA
 addr 2: Deskjet D1400 series, HP
addr 1: UHCI root hub, VIA
addr 1: UHCI root hub, VIA
addr 1: EHCI root hub, VIA

-- and --

~ % dmesg | grep ugen0
ugen0: HP Deskjet D1400 series, rev 2.00/1.00,
addr 2

I installed print/hplip and print/cups

I followed the directions at http://am-productions.biz/docs/hplip.php
exactly, but when I try to run hp-setup, I get this:

error: No devices found.Please make sure your printer is properly
connected and powered-on

So, I tried using CUPS own web-interface, no luck, it doesn't even list
USB as an option, KDE's "kprinter" interface does, but it's greyed out.
I tried the "find manually" function in hp-setup, but was instructed to
use the command lsusb, which doesn't seem to exist; I suspect lsusb is
a Linux specific command, and, indeed, the portions of HPLIP's web-site
dealing with this aspect make clear references to Linux's method of
handling USB device notes.

I am at my wits end. I have tried everything I could think of, to no
avail. Thanks in advance.

--John.