Date:      Tue, 16 May 1995 12:34:08 PDT
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        Thomas Graichen <graichen@sirius.physik.fu-berlin.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: "arp info overwritten" problem

In message <9505161422.AA16140@sirius.physik.fu-berlin.de> you write:
>here i often get the "arp info overwritten for 130.133.255.255 from ..." -
>aroud every 1/4 i get this and i think it's because FreeBSD keeps the
>broadcast adress in his arp cache -> arp -a looks like:
>
>graichen@julia:~> arp -a
>BROADCAST.fu-berlin.de (130.133.255.255) at 8:0:14:15:16:78

This is, of course, not the broadcast MAC address; it is the address of a
device with an ethernet card manufactured by Excelan, which could be a BBN
Butterfly, Masscomp, Silicon Graphics, or other.

FreeBSD doesn't use the ARP table for broadcasts; arpresolve() is hardwired to
return the ethernet broadcast address when it gets passed a broadcast mbuf.

My only guess as to what is going on is that someone is sending a broadcasted
arp reply for the broadcast address, or something bizarre like that.  The only
way to know for sure is to use tcpdump (try "tcpdump -v -e -n arp") and see if
you ever see a line that says something like "arp reply 130.133.255.255 is-at
8:0:14:15:16:78".

(p.s. what is your netmask and broadcast address on that interface?)

  Bill