Date:      Wed, 07 Aug 2002 21:30:43 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Desmond Lee <desmond.lee@shaw.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: still can't upgrade using make install world

Desmond Lee wrote:

> Hi there
>
> I've been trying to upgrade my os for the last couple days now, but still no
> luck. I've run 'mergemaster -p' in order to get past the smmsp issue where
> you need to merge changes into the /etc/group and /etc/master.passwd files.
> So these two files i hand edited and changed the cvs tag. The files now have
> additional users and groups for the smmsp to use.
>
> But, when i cd into /usr/src and run 'make installworld' it still fails. I
> get an error message something like this:
> ERROR: Required smmsp user is missing, see /usr/src/UPDATING.
> *** Error Code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
> *** Error Code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
>

> Any help is greatly apprecaited :)

Well, it told you what to do. The user to be added is identified in
/usr/src/UPDATING

But I won't force you to read it. You have to add to your passwrd file
the following as one line.

smmsp:*:25:25::0:0:Sendmail Submission
User:/var/spool/clientmqueue:/sbin/nologin

You also have to add smmsp to /etc/group

smmsp:*:25:

Then, installworld will finish your upgrade. You could also run
mergemaster -p but I don't let mergemaster touch my group or password
files.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart