Date:      Sat, 02 Dec 2006 15:12:45 -0800
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best way to upgrade base programs

Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
> Can someone offer some guidance as to the best way to upgrade packages
> that were not installed via the ports system? For instance, openssh.
> Would 'portinstall sshd' work and the system see the new version or
> should it be uninstalled some way first? I am running 5.3 and 6.1.
>
> Thanks, Robert

If you use the base package version, I believe that the best way to go
about installing the latest and greatest version would be to go...

cd /usr/src; make clean cleandir; cd crypto/openssh; make depend; make;
make install

If you're using the ports version, portupgrade openssh would do the
trick, but you are probably not using that particular version..

If you are trying to upgrade SSL related ports that were affected by a
vulnerability, you may just want to run buildworld and installworld on
it (see
<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html>).

-Garrett