Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 2008 13:35:46 -0800
From:      "Peter Steele" <psteele@maxiscale.com>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   What are proper install.cfg for configuring multiple slices?

I want to do an automated sysinstall through an install.cfg script and
the script partition the install disk into three slices. I've been going
through various tests trying to figure out what the proper directives
are but I haven't had much luck, and I can't find any good examples.
Here is a snippet of my config file:

=20

disk=3Dad0

bootManager=3Dstandard

partition=3D12582912

diskPartitionEditor

partition=3D2097152

diskPartitionEditor

partition=3Dfree

diskPartitionEditor

=20

ad0s1-1=3Dufs 4194304 /

ad0s1-2=3Dufs 4194304 /tmp

ad0s1-3=3Dufs 4194304 /var

ad0s2-1=3Dswap 2097152 none

ad0s3-1=3Dufs 4194304 none

ad0s3-2=3Dufs 4194304 none

ad0s3-3=3Dufs 0 none

diskLabelEditor

diskLabelCommit

=20

My intent here is to create three slices-one 6GB in size, another 1GB in
size, and the third sized to consume the remaining free space. When I
run this through sysinstall, it complains that it can't find the space
for the partitions. It even complains that it can't find any free space.
Because the slices don't get created, the subsequent label assignments
fail as well. What is the proper commands for creating multiple slices
in install.cfg?

=20

Another thing I'm having trouble with is partitioning more than one
disk. I have four disks that I'd like to partition as part of the
install.cfg script. In fact, I want to partition the four disks more or
less identically (although only one should have an active root
partition). Again though, if I try partitioning another disk after ad0,
sysinstall complains about various things and the disk does not get
partitioned. Can multiple disks be partitioned in this manner or does
the step have to be done as a post-install operation?

=20