Date:      Thu, 22 Jan 2015 11:45:03 +0100
From:      Nick Hibma <nick@van-laarhoven.org>
To:        Reza Nikoopour <rnikoopour@gmail.com>
Cc:        =?utf-8?Q?=E2=80=9CFreeBSD_Embedded_Mailing_List=E2=80=9D?= <freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RBPi Doesn't Boot With GPS GPIO Board Attached

This problem has been haunting us for quite some years, and we have =
always separate hardware to enable GPS manually only after boot. It =
-might- hit the keystroke to enter the BIOS, which is a big no-no for =
embedded devices in remote environments. You really want to make sure =
you don=E2=80=99t get bitten by that. There is usually no way to disable =
BIOS entry completely (Soekris BIOS, ALIX BIOS, CoreBoot BIOS).

Note: I am talking about BIOS, not even boot loader here=E2=80=A6

Nick

> On 21 Jan 2015, at 23:25, Reza Nikoopour <rnikoopour@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> Adrian,
>=20
> It seems like you were right about the serial port taking in the GPS =
output
> as valid input.  I disabled the serial port login for Raspbian and I =
was
> able to boot into a shell with the GPS board attached.
>=20
> Reza
>=20
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 11:16 AM, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org> =
wrote:
>=20
>> Hi,
>>=20
>> Does the GPS add-on speak to the raspberry PI serial console? If so,
>> it's likely outputting a whole lot of GPS data via serial, and the
>> boot loaders for both operating systems are interpreting that as =
valid
>> input.
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> -a
>>=20
>>=20
>> On 21 January 2015 at 09:57, Reza Nikoopour <rnikoopour@gmail.com> =
wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>=20
>>> I'm currently building an NTP server using the following set up:
>>>=20
>>> Raspberry Pi B+ <
>>>=20
>> =
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LPESRUK/ref=3Doh_aui_detailpage_o01_s0=
0?ie=3DUTF8&psc=3D1
>>> Raspberry PI GPS Add-on <
>>> http://imall.iteadstudio.com/raspberry-pi-gps-add-on.html >
>>> FreeBSD 10.1 built with CrochetBSD
>>>=20
>>> I was able to build an img with Crochet and get the Pi to boot into =
>>> shell.  However, whenever I booting the Pi with the GPS board =
attached it
>>> will not boot.
>>>=20
>>> When I plug in the GPS Add-on into the GPIO connector, my Pi fails =
>> boot
>>> before starting the kernel.  It boots to the point where it says =
"Press
>>> enter to prevent auto boot" and then the letter 'L' shows up and =
starts
>>> erasing text from the screen.
>>>=20
>>> I was initially using a 1.5A power supply.  It was suggested to me =
to try
>>> using a stronger power supply so I tried a 2.1A power supply, but =
that
>>> didn't work either.  Using the 2.1A power supply resulted in the =
same
>> boot
>>> problem described above.
>>>=20
>>> Next I tried using Raspbian to boot the Pi, but a similar problem
>>> occurred.  The Pi boots without the GPS board attached.  When the =
GPS
>> board
>>> is attached, it boots kernel and when the screen to start Raspbian
>> Software
>>> Configuration then the following message prints to the screen
>> indefinitely:
>>>=20
>>> SysRq : HELP : loglevel(0-9) reboot(b) crash(c) =
terminate-all-tasks(e)
>>> memory-full-oom-kill(f) kill-all-tasks(i) thaw-filesystem(j) sak(k)
>>> show-memory-usage(m) nice-all-RT-tasks(n) poweroff(o) =
show-registers(p)
>>> show-all-timers(q) unraw(r) sync(s) show-task-states(t) unmount(u)
>>> show-blocked-test(w)
>>>=20
>>> Could I get some guidance with fixing this problem?
>>>=20
>>> Thanks!
>>> Reza