Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 16:26:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      Arley Carter <arc@twinds.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syslogd problems in 4.0: rejected in rule 0 due to port mismatch.

On Sun, 26 Mar 2000, Doug White wrote:

> What port is the cisco sending the syslog updates from?  The default -a
> requires it to be sent *from* the syslogd port.  A tcpdump is probably in
> order.

Set debug on the router and you will find that cisco likes to talk on
port 4600.  At least it does in my version of IOS 12. Tell me if you find
different. According to some this is more secure than 514.  But udp is
udp. YMMV

Cheers:
-arc

Arley Carter				arc@twinds.com
Tradewinds Technologies, Inc.		www.twinds.com
Winston-Salem, NC  USA			Network Engineering & Security

Email for an evaluation copy of Network Flight Recorder.