Date:      Tue, 11 Sep 2001 08:16:21 +1000 (EST)
From:      jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au>
To:        hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.4 thread (summary/finish?)

Hi,

First of all, i've trimmed the headers on this - i didn't quite
expect it'd get this noisy.  Also, this mail wasn't meant to be
an attack on jordan or the freebsd group - i was just trying to
illustrate the problems we had with the last release and was
hoping we might get them addressed for 4.4.  This is looking
very unlikely, but perhaps something can be done for 5.0 and
we write that idea off for this release.

> I must have missed the attached rant from Will, but let me first just
> say this: Forget about Lightning Internet - they're chapter 11 and out
> of the picture.  ftp.freesoftware.com, RIP.

that's a real shame.  i was only including that mail for humour and to
make a bit of a point.  it wasn't meant to be taken literally (and i'm
hoping will doesnt't shoot me for only quoting part of it..)

> All the release engineering team is concerned with at this point is
> ftp-master.freebsd.org.  We'll put the bits up on there, wait some
> 12-24 hours before making the public announcement (to allow some
> amount of mirror propagation to take place) and then send out the

unforunately this doesn't help. at all. there are thousands of people
and automated sites watching and freebsd starts being downloaded well
before any announcement by the group as well as getting posted to
slashdot et al.

Summary

None of the points raised are able to be met for this release.  no
"advance" release to mirrors and no mirror co-ordinator available.

Some statements about time involved and having "plenty of disk on
lots of mirrors" are misguided.  It's not a personal attack jordan,
but the FreeBSD mirrors are gradually getting worse.  It's significantly
worse now than it was 3-4 years ago.  In Australia there were 8 or
so pretty keen and up to date mirrors.  I don't believe there is even
1 anymore.  There are still a few people coming along offering to
do freebsd mirroring, but they don't realise the workload involved
(and resources) and either soon drop out, or only carry a small subset.

While i (now) realise there is lots of politics involved, is there
any chance the freebsd group will admit that mirroring could be
done better and it will need some changes over time (which will NOT
be possible for this release).

The 12 hours allocated before an announcement is made - with the 4.3
release, it took almost 3 days just to get some of the ISO images.  The
bottleneck at the time was partly our pacific links (lots of people
from AU not finding anything on a local mirror and going to the US)
and the freebsd site (lots of people not finding anything on a local
mirror and...) being saturated.

-jason