Date:      Sat, 31 Dec 2005 04:37:27 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Kristian Vaaf" <vaaf@broadpark.no>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: How to convert BIND to TinyDNS?

Why are you bothering?  TinyDNS isn't the "standard" nameserver that
everyone and their dog has been using for time out of mind.  The people
that push it seem to like it because it's simpler, that is all well and
good
but you still have to live in the world where everyone else uses The Big
B,
so I think the onus is on the TinyDNS people to understand what the
defacto standard is, not the other way around.

If I want to ride a motorcycle on the road I have to understand the laws
that
govern cars, but car drivers don't have to understand the laws that cover
motorcyclists.  That is the penalty you pay for being in a minority, too
bad, so sad, but the world doesen't give you any sympathy, so why are
you?

If you have a situation where you have an inexperienced person that is
supposed to be administering the zone files, and you don't trust him,
then
load webmin and have them use that.  The bind config module in webmin
is very good, we have been using it for years.  In fact I strongly
recommend
against editing the zone files by hand, since formatting errors can make
named act very funny.

Ted