Date:      Sat, 13 Aug 2005 01:47:06 -0500
From:      Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>
To:        rsh.lists@comcast.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Monitor Tuning

On 8/12/05, Sean <rsh.lists@comcast.net> wrote:
> My display is not very sharp and I was looking for a few tips that might
> help to cure things. I tweeked a few things and no luck. Still a soft
> dull image. Little annoying on the eyes.
>=20
> Is anyone running a NEC Multisync XV17+ with an Nvidia 6500 ultra and
> getting a sharp display?

Your using a 7 to 8 year old value series monitor and with an Nvidia
card... what do you expect?

http://www.necdisplay.com/corpus/O/O/XV17+_manual.pdf

* Clean your screen.
* Clean your eye glasses
* Degauss the monitor.
* Play with the refresh rates.
* Adjust the contrast level (in the dark) based on the test here:
http://brighamrad.harvard.edu/research/topics/vispercep/tutorial.html

* Buy a new video card.

I refuse to buy Nvidia cards for are digital imaging workstations
because the 2D quality is crap. A much better choice would be Matrox
or ATI.

* Buy a new monitor.

You monitor is old! I would have moved it to one of the office PCs a
few years ago just because of the color shift, you can't properly
calibrate monitors that are this old.

Start looking for a new 19" CRT in the $200 - $230 dollar price range.