Date:      Fri, 4 Oct 2002 15:19:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Thingie #2 - system upgrade methods.

When there is a point release of -STABLE, there seem to be several methods
for doing a binary upgrade, but none seem to fit my preference, and I
wanted to post and see if I'm missing something.

What I've been doing is downloading the boot floppies for the release,
booting from it/them, and selecting binary upgrade via FTP.  Once this is
done things go rather smoothly.  But it does require that I have a floppy
drive installed and physical access to the console, which isn't always
expedient.

What I'd prefer to do is to get the whole floppy creation process out of
the mix.  I understand, after several painful wounds, that running the
prior version sysinstall and upgrading from there doesn't work properly.
However, that is by far the most intuitive approach to take and I'm sure
it gets many newbies like myself in trouble.

What I don't understand is why it isn't possible to simply download the
newrev version of sysinstall, and run *that* on the current system, rather
than go through the whole floppy process.  The difference, obviously, is
that in one case you are running the newrev kernel, and in the other you
are running the newrev sysinstall under the old kernel.  But it's hard to
imagine changes to point releases that would cause a problem in doing the
latter - all you are doing is downloading and installing files, they don't
actuate until you reboot anyway.

Am I missing something obvious here?  It doesn't "feel" like I'm doing
this properly.

KeS