Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 2008 17:51:59 +0100
From:      Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
To:        pwn <pwnedomina@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Jonathan McKeown <jonathan+freebsd-questions@hst.org.za>
Subject:   Re: ascii text format

El día Friday, November 21, 2008 a las 03:53:09PM +0000, pwn escribió:

> Jonathan McKeown wrote:
> >On Friday 21 November 2008 12:49:16 pwn wrote:
> >
> >>algouth this is not a freebsd specific text, i need to format some texts
> >>under freebsd for they appear in the center of the page when opened in a
> >>browser, but i dont want to use HTML for format them, i just want to add
> >>tabulation to my *.txt.
> >>what software/tool can i use for format my *.txt? there is command on
> >>VIM like "set textwidth" but this is not suitable for me. any help i
> >>appreciate.
> >>i add an example on a temporary host for make sure all understand.
> >>(i need to format the text for he appear like the example good.txt)
> >>http://one.xthost.info/temphost/good.txt
> >>http://one.xthost.info/temphost/bad.txt
> >>

> >You seem to be fighting against your tools rather than working with them -
> >the browser will strip out your whitespace and reflow your text anyway
> >unless you prevent it somehow (<pre> tags?) so you might be better off
> >just using HTML/CSS to control the format.
> >
> >However, you could look at various tools for processing text, depending
> >exactly what you're trying to do: the manpages for fmt, groff, and pr
> >might all offer some ideas.
> >
> >Jonathan
> >

> yes, i want that the text appears displayed such as manpages like, how
> can i accomplish this task?

what about:

$ groff -Tascii < bad.txt

SOME TITLE

Dreaming  of space-flight, and predicting its future, have always
been favorite pastimes of science fiction. In  my  first  science
column  for  F&SF, I can't resist the urge to contribute a bit to
this grand tradition.

A science-fiction writer in 1991 has a  profound  advantage  over
the  genre's  pioneers. Nowadays, space-exploration has a past as
well as a future. "The conquest of space" can  be  judged  today,
not just by dreams, but by a real-life track record.

and some more tweakings after that with sed, ...

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz
Manager Technical Support - OCLC GmbH