Date:      Mon, 5 May 1997 11:09:58 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De>
To:        dkeller@psln.com (Daniel Keller)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: where is FAQ.ascii?

> I tried to view FAQ.latin1 in wordpad in Win95 and with vi in FreeBSD,
> neither one displayed it correctly.
> What should I use to view these latin1 files?

I only work with the locally installed FAQ and handbook files, so what
follows might not apply to the files on the FTP server.

There are some control characters like ^H in FAQ.latin1 -- and in
FAQ.ascii as well to produce
hiliting on the printer or terminal. It does the right thing when
using lpr(1) or more(1).  For *.gz files use zmore(1) to view them
on the terminal.

Don't use vi, since it won't send control characters like ^H
(backspace) to the terminal, instead it would display the two
printable characters `^' and `H'. This feature is *not* what you
want when reading FAQ.ascii or FAQ.latin1.

Wolfgang