Date:      Thu, 2 Sep 2004 13:23:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      ctodd@chrismiller.com
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to customize a release?

> I'd say, please read the release(7) manpage.

Ruslan,
	I appreciate the tip, but I've read all available information I
could find including the man pages. The underlying problem here is there
is a lack of information on the inner workings of the release framework.
The subject matter is "here's how we make a release for FreeBSD", but
there's no "how-to" incorporate your own src changes and "roll your own".
I was 14 pages into google.com/bsd before I found this :

http://alumni.cse.ucsc.edu/~brucem/fbsd_sysgen.htm#make_dist

see "How do I add custom modifications to the release I build?"

While it sounds like it should work, I question whether this is the most
efficient way to accomplish this, and that is why I've turned to the
freebsd-hackers list. Using the above I have to run "make release" twice
(at 5 hours each currently) to accomplish my changes when it seems
reasonable that I should be able to :

CVS the source
Apply Patches
make release

make rerelease appears as if it should be able to suck in minor changes,
but I've not had such luck so far.

I understand that these lists get a lot of newbie questions, but I've
spent many hours using all resources that were available (Handbook, RTFM,
list archives, Google, Usenet) before posting my questions. I'm just
hoping to get some further clarity from those that have already been
through this.

Thanks again.

Chris