Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 2000 19:53:54 -0700
From:      "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jgowdy@home.com>
To:        "Rick Hamell" <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: smp

> > And you honestly believe that this AOL kid has a dual Pentium III 650
> > running Windows 98 ?  And that he found his way here so he could post
his
> > question 3 times over ?  I doubt it in the extreme.
>
> Maybe it just the tech support person in me who believes that a
> normal user says the wrong thing meaning something else, so that I have to
> figure out what they're really talking about. Besides, the orginal address
> belongs to a teenage girl. (19-21 or so to judge by her web page,) who
> also according to her page dosen't look like she knows much about
> computers. I believe this was merely an accidental post. Even if it was
> malicious, (and it's a pretty stupid thing to try,) it seems to have
> succeeded in riling at least a few people around here.
> Either way, WE (The FreeBSD community,) need to be polite to every
> one... no matter who they are. Who knows your alleged script kiddie may
> someday become a potential member of the Core Team who single handedly
> wrote code that made FreeBSD the only operating system to use. But... he
> went over to Microsoft because you were impolite to him and has a bad
> taste in his mouth. Anyways, it's a moot point. Customer has been
> helped... at least by some.

Although I now have a bad taste in my mouth from your scenario of the
possibility of any newbie being the future savior of BSD and operating
systems as a whole, because while that IS possible, that's no reason help
people.  I agree with what you're saying to the extent that FreeBSD people
should be helpful to new users.  I help people whenever I can in
#freebsdhelp, and on the list when I feel like I know enough about what
they're saying to help out I do, but in this instance, I looked at the
situation, 3 posts, all different, from an AOL address, asking for help with
"lost chains" on a dual PIII 650 with 256 megs ram.  In my experience people
who OWN dual cpu computers, KNOW what SMP is.  People who don't know what
SMP is, aren't going to know that they have dual pIII 650s and 256 megs ram.
It just plain and simple does not make sense.  No amount of maybes,
possiblies, and savior of BSDs, can convince me that post was valid.  So in
reply, I posted something equally as humorous and foolish as what they
posted.  It was all in fun, and I knew no harm would be done because (a) the
original message was 99.9% chance of being fake, and (b) even if it was
real, no person with common sense would do what I said to do.  It's not like
someone asked me how to configure FreeBSD for a cable modem and I told them
to type rm -rf / or something.  I know what you're arguing against, and I
don't disagree with you.  I simply don't think my post fit into the "being
an asshole to the newbies" catagory.  My post was intended to be in the
"witty is as witty does" catagory.  If you didn't take it that way, I
apologize.  If this person ruined their "SMP" because of my advice, I will
ship them a new Dual Pentium III 650.  Just have them call me at
202-456-1414, give me thier address, and we'll sort it all out.