Date:      Wed, 8 Dec 1999 08:23:35 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>
To:        jdp@polstra.com (John Polstra)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Route table leaks

> Have any of you been seeing route table leaks in -current?  I noticed
> this week that cvsup-master.freebsd.org is suffering from them.  I
> actually had to reboot it because it couldn't allocate any more.  From
> the "vmstat -m" output:
>
> Memory statistics by type                          Type  Kern
>         Type  InUse MemUse HighUse  Limit Requests Limit Limit Size(s)
> [...]
>      routetbl150907 21221K  21221K 21221K   462184    0     0  16,32,64,128,256
> [...]
> I can think of some experiments to try in order to start to diagnose
> it.  But first, have any of you seen this problem?

Hell, I've been seeing this for well over a year.  The last time I mentioned
it, everybody seemed to think I was nuts.  :-)

FreeBSD 3.0-19981015-BETA #1: Tue Jan 12 03:30:56 CST 1999

     routetbl289178 40961K  40961K 40960K   435741    0     0 16,32,64,128,256

When it gets like that, it starts losing the ability to add further ARP
table entries and essentially starts going randomly deaf to local hosts
(and to a lesser extent remote hosts).

I've also seen it on a 3.3-RELEASE box, but it's not currently happening
to any of them right now.

Machines in question are SMP boxes, and get hit fairly heavily in various
Usenet news server roles.  Seems to happen quite a bit more often on boxes
that talk to a wide variety of host types, and I can't recall having seen
it on boxes that only talk to other FreeBSD boxes.  But that could also be
because the network environment is much more controlled internally.

... Joe