Date:      Thu, 24 Feb 2005 10:18:14 +0100
From:      cpghost@cordula.ws
To:        Graham North <graham.north@telus.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATA harddrive sleep/spindown timout?

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 10:36:29PM -0800, Graham North wrote:
> I stumbled on this post by you - but not resolving answers - I have the
> same question?
>
>> Is it possible to put ata harddrives in spindown/sleep/suspend mode
>> without putting the whole system to sleep/suspend?

I don't know the right answer to this, but the following work-around
may help:

# atacontrol detach <channelnumber>
has the nice side effect of spinning down the detached drives.

WARNING: Don't detach drives (channels) with mounted file systems.
Umount first, then detach! Use at your own risk!

Cheers,
-cpghost.

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/