Date:      Sun, 5 Mar 2000 18:20:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ken Keeler <kkeysler@nwlink.com>
To:        Michael Lewis <m1ewis@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp -- terminal mode problem

On Sun, 5 Mar 2000, Michael Lewis wrote:

> Hello, I'm new to FreeBSD and am trying to get my modem working.  I've been
> getting help with configuring ppp, but when I'm in ppp ON> and type
>
>      term<enter>
>
> I get
>
>      deflink: Entering terminal mode on /dev/cuaa1
>      Type '~?' for help
>
> and then nothing else on the screen, no prompt or anything.  When I type
>
> 	AT<enter>
>
> nothing echoes on the screen.  Nothing happens.  I have no keyboard control
> until I type
>
> 	~.
>
> which gets me out of terminal mode and back to ppp ON>.
>
> Does anyone know why I'm not getting some sort of prompt in terminal mode?
> I need to be able to send an AT command and hopefully get an OK to see if my
> modem is there at all.

Normally there is no prompt. Just the cursor.

If you are not seeing any characters on the screen, it may be due to the
fact that your modem is not set to echo commands. You'll have to consult
your modems command set for the proper command to set echo on. Another
possibility is that the modem is no on sio1. If it's an internal PNP, it
may not be configured properly. In other words, the sio devices
shown in dmesg are just the com ports. On my box, with a supraexpress
isa pnp, the modem is on sio2. If it's external, check to be sure you
are connected to the proper com port.

Someone else may have a better idea...these are the problems I've
encountered.

E=mc^2
student 1 each     Ken Keeler
"The Internet, is that thing still around?" - Homer J. Simpson