Date:      Fri, 10 Oct 2008 22:08:14 -0700
From:      Brian <bri@brianwhalen.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need help installing on SATA

Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> Does anyone know the magic incantation that will permit me to install
> FreeBSD on this new machine of mine (nVidia chipset, SATA1 disk
> controller)?
>
> I've been trying for a week or so now, with no luck.  Just out of
> curiosity, I downloaded and ran Ubuntu 8.x, and it recognized all of
> my hardware automatically.  The FreeBSD installer (both in 7.x and
> 8.x), though, can't find my hard drive or CD-ROM.
>
> I *really* don't want to have to resort to Linux, not after using
> FreeBSD for 12 years now, but if I can't find a solution to this
> problem, I'll have no choice.  :-(
>
> Thanks for any advice.

Can u not get thru the install, or do you have issues afterwards?
I make it thru the install ok, but when I upgrade to stable, I have
problems due to numbering changes.
I'd suggest using google or the freebsd website to search for your
motherboard model and some other search terms.
You'll probably be told to check the supported hw list to start with.

Brian