Date:      Fri, 21 May 1999 03:20:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brad Karp <karp@eecs.harvard.edu>
To:        raj@cisco.com
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, wpaul@ctr.columbia.edu
Subject:   Re: wi driver and WaveLAN IEEE 802.11 Turbo cards

802.11 is standardized as a MAC protocol over the air; not really as a
hardware spec for the host side of the 802.11 adapter hardware.

Thus, which cards the wi driver works with depends on the particular
hardware implementation manufacturers choose. Cards made by those who use the
same host side hardware as the Lucent WaveLAN 802.11 cards *should* work
fine with the wi driver.

In particular, NCR's 802.11 cards and the Cabletron RoamAbout 802.11 DS are
reputed to use the same hardware as Lucent's cards. So they should
work with the wi driver (modulo appropriate entries added to /etc/pccard.conf).

I've not tried the NCR or Cabletron cards myself, and haven't heard from
anyone who has. The Linux WaveLAN driver claims to work with these two other
cards, and it doesn't contain code to treat them any differently.

I'm not sure of these other cards' prices, but at least there are other
options.

Note also that Lucent lowered prices on WaveLAN hardware in the past few
months, so you might want to price them again, depending on when last you
looked.

-Brad, karp@eecs.harvard.edu