Date:      Fri, 07 Apr 2000 13:21:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Patrick Burm <patb@commlitho.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: boot loader suddenly appears

On 07-Apr-00 Patrick Burm wrote:
> At 11:21 AM 4/7/00 -0400, you wrote:
>> > For some reason, today, after making some changes to rc.conf,
>> > powering down and moving the server, it decides to give me
>> > that boot manager that looks like this:
>> >
>> >  >> FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
>> > Default: 0:da(0,a)/boot/loader
>> > boot:
>> >
>> > And then just sits there. I can hit enter and get it to boot,
>> > but it concerns me that a power outage (longer than my UPS can handle)
>> > will make the thing sit there waiting for someone to push enter.
>> >
>> > I have tried fdisk /mbr from a dos disk, I have tried using the
>> > fdisk from /stand/sysinstall and marking the partition active and
>> > telling it a standard MBR and writing.
>> >
>> > Nothing will make it go away.
>> >
>> > Any ideas. Or at least can I give that boot manager a directive to
>> > just boot automatically somehow?
>>
>>Odd.  Do you have anything in /boot.config?
>
> I don't have a boot.config, is that a problem?

No.  What you are seeing is the boot2 prompt, and since you are seeing
that, you are passed the stage of your MBR stuff.  Reading the code, it is
going to wait 0x37 timer ticks before a keypress before automatically
booting /boot/loader.  At 18.2 ticks/second, that comes out to about 3
seconds.  Just to make sure, have you waited, say, 5 seconds at that
prompt before pressing Enter to see if it automatically boots?