Date:      Thu, 21 Oct 1999 10:37:08 +0200
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: soundcard.h

Dan Nelson wrote:

> In the last episode (Oct 20), Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai said:
> > just been messing with some more include files and I am curious about
> > something.
> >
> > [Note: CURRENT system]
> >
> > I have a soundcard.h in both include/sys and include/machine.
> >
> > Which should have preference over the other, why does one simply not
> > include the other.  In other words, why two _exactly_ the same files?
>
> Actually on my system it's a symlink.  My guess is that some committer
> was sick of patching every Linux app from <sys/soundcard.h> to
> <machine/soundcard.h>.

soundcard.h has been moved by Peter from machine/ to sys/. A commit logs
tells us:

\begin{quote}
<machine/soundcard.h> -> <sys/soundcard.h>, since it's an exported API
that's arch neutral and OSS API and Linux API compatable.
\end{quote}

The link is to prevent breakages. Use #include <sys/soundcard.h> in new
source code.

--
Marcel Moolenaar                        mailto:marcel@scc.nl
SCC Internetworking & Databases           http://www.scc.nl/