Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2001 15:57:47 -0500
From:      "Randall Hamilton" <nitedog@silly.pikachu.org>
To:        "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>, "John Baldwin" <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        <chat@FreeBSD.org>, "Giorgos Keramidas" <charon@labs.gr>
Subject:   Re: Feeding the Troll (Was: freebsd as a desktop ?)

> John writes:
>
> > Umm, that's called "stable", not "secure".
>
> A system that is unstable is insecure as well.  It is vulnerable to DoS
attacks,
> for example.

I disagree completly.  i know of many secure unstable machines.  sloaris x86
for example :)
Putting jest aside..a unstable machine is not insecure..have a unstable
machine without any kind of network...and its still unstable..putting the
same machine on a network does not automaticly make it insecure.

> > Then again, they have so many problems with it
> > that I'm tempted to at least put a FreeBSD
> > gateway/nat box in their house to eliminate all the
> > network problems at least. :)
>
> A router is cheaper.

and weaker.  most cheap-low end network routers for dsl/cable have very weak
thruput and packet handling...not to mention most that have a built in 'hub'
only offer 10mbit..some 100mbit..but both being non switched.

a p200-p300 box and a good 100mbit switch would be far far superior to one
of those rinky dink setups, and would cost little more.