Date:      Sat, 25 May 2002 23:27:50 +0930
From:      "Rob" <rob@deathbeforedecaf.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   dhcpd and security

Hi,

I'm running a DHCP server on the inside interface of a gateway. Since it's
the only service there (besides SSH) I'd like to tie it down as much as
possible.

The default behaviour of the isc-dhcp-2 port is to run as root, and AFAIK
the isc-dhcp-3 port does the same thing. In this case, I'd like some advice
on my options:

* ari edelkind wrote a dhcp-2.0+paranoia.patch which added chroot() and
setuid()/gid() to dhcpd v2 - unfortunately
http://users.phri.nyu.edu/~edelkind/custom/public/patches/dhcp-2.0+paranoia.
patch
and
http://www.episec.com/people/edelkind/patches/dhcp/dhcp-2.0+paranoia.patch
are now dead links. Does anyone have a copy of this patch?

* Kurt Seifreid wrote an article on DHCP security issues - alas
http://securityportal.com/closet/closet20001129.html
is also a dead link. Has anyone seen a mirror of this article?

* ISC-DHCP v3 has lots of new features, but still seems to be missing the
option to run as non-root. Since I don't need stuff like Dynamic DNS, is
there any reason not to stay with version 2?

Thanks muchly,
Rob.

--
Trust the Computer. The Computer is your friend.