Date:      Fri, 6 Oct 2000 15:34:34 -0700
From:      "Simon Block" <sblock@computer.org>
To:        <erich@rrnet.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.org>, <asmodai@freebsd.org>, <asmodai@bart.nl>, <asmodai@wxs.nl>, <peter@freebsd.org>, <mdodd@freebsd.org>, <wpaul@freebsd.org>, <dfr@freebsd.org>
Subject:   PCI resource issues on FreeBSD

Dear NewBus/FreeBSD Guru's,

I am sending this to you after posting on all the newgroups without success,
perhaps you can help:

I am writing a driver for a PCI device I am having problems allocating the
resources (IRQ's and memory regions) for my card. (I am using FreeBSD 4.1
STABLE).

I have a driver that opens three independent PCI devices (they are
all built into the one card as seperate PCI to local bus ASIC chips).
My driver maps all the memory regions ok and will map the first two
interrupts (using rid=0) but the mapping of the third interrupt fails.
These mapping are called by the system as 3 distinct calls to the
attach routine. On another platform (motherboard) we are having problems
allocating the third memory region as well.

Is there possibly a resource issue with IRQ's and PCI memory that would
mean I cannot get another one? How much address space does BSD allocate to
the PCI bus? Can I get around this somehow?  How do we deal with these PCI
resource issues? What are the limits?
How can we modify them?
Is there any documentation on this?

Thanks in advance for any help.