Date:      Sun, 26 Oct 2003 18:15:15 -0800
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Robin Schoonover <end@endif.cjb.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pop3 and socket 110

On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 06:34:36PM -0700, Robin Schoonover wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 17:23:34 -0800, Gary Kline <kline@thought.org> wrote:
> > 	Trying to install a GUI MUA has me wedged ... and lost!!
> >
> > 	I've been trying to get the mozilla mail/news suite to
> > 	work for a long time--well, on and off!  I finally
> > 	installed cucipop on NS1.THOUGHT.ORG and tried to start it.
> >
> > 	root@ns1:/usr/local/etc/rc.d#        /usr/local/libexec/cucipop -Y
> > 	cucipop: Can't bind socket 110
> >

> Something is probably already listening on port 110.  Check sockstat -l (if
> it's FreeBSD, or check to see if something in inetd is grabbing it...).

	Yep, altho I'm not sure why or how:

   root     inetd    24764    7 tcp4   *:110                 *:*

	I commented out pop3 and reinitialized; then the socket was
	113.   --This is a bit over my head; 113 is given to auth.
	Why is it grabbing the POP socket?

> > 	NS1 had a valid IP address; my two other systems are internal,
> > 	private, invisible from the outside.  At any rate, after some
> > 	pondering I altered the 'news and mail' configuration.  Voila;
> > 	mail *is* sent out (in HTML).  But not received... (???)
> > 	/var/mail/kline is my spool; mozilla can't see this for some
> > 	reason.
> >

> mozilla doesn't know about these sort of mailboxes.  It only knows about
> imap and pop3.

	Thanks for the insight.  Well, room for improvement... .

> > 	evolution refuses to build because some of the GNOME libs
> > 	won't upgrade.  (Of my 400 ports, just 11 seem broken.)
> > 	Can anybody recommend a GUI mail program that doesn't have
> > 	so many dependencies?
> >

> portupgrade might help your GNOME libs upgrade.  Anyhow, I use
> sylpheed-claws (basically the more cutting edge version of sylpheed).

	I used portupgrade for all but 11 of my out-of-date ports.
	It's great.  Unfortunately, it can't fix broken code and I'm
	happy with ctwm ;-)

> > 	1.) Do I really need pop3?
>
> If you want to use mozilla.
>
> > 	2.) How do I get the mozilla mail to recognize the mail in my spool
> > 	dir?
>
> You probably don't.
>
> >	3.) What is a decent MUA?
>
> that's debatable.  I consider what I use to be decent :P

	I'll give sylpheed a look.  I really prefer discreet tools
	than bundled/bloat.   Use mutt 99% of the time.  So when I
	find a decent GUI client, I'm gonna rebuild mozilla sans'
	the mailer.

	thanks el-mucho!

	gary

--