Date:      Fri, 2 Jul 1999 23:10:13 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   upgrading now to 3.2

	Well, it's underway.  Since I'm upgrading from the 4CD set
	I certainly ought to have everything current as of the last
	checkpoint in mid-May.

	Note that people didn't caution that the filesystem mountpoints
	need to be noted down somewhere along with their sizes.  It
	cost me an extra 25 minutes, but small change if this works.

	A couple of things:

	I mounted my entire system and certainly didn't need to... .
	Then the upgrade holographic screen cautioned that my
	/usr/src would not be  touched; that I would need to upgrade
	my sources via cvsup or ctm.  Why the warning?   It was ignored,
	and unless the script is wrong, the new 3.2 srcs were copied over!

	Another question to anyone from -hackers (or elsewhere): how
	about writing a script that handles an upgrade for people who
	aren't interested in changing their slices?  In the many times
	that I've up-rev'd in the past 4 years I've only needed to
	change the slices once per system.  Exactly twice.

	Seems like an intelligent sh script could save away the essentials
	and upgrade with the user only selecting the ports and the
	encryption suites.

	gary