Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2006 08:21:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      backyard <backyard1454-bsd@yahoo.com>
To:        RW <list-freebsd-2004@morbius.sent.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How "real time" is FreeBSD?

--- RW <list-freebsd-2004@morbius.sent.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 21 September 2006 06:12, Walt Pawley
> wrote:
> > At 11:47 PM -0500 9/20/06, W. D. wrote:
> > >Just reading this about Linux on ZDNet and was
> wondering:
> >

><http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9593_22-6117479.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=zd
> > >nn>
> >
> > Cybernetic floobydust, IMHO.
>
> If you read what the banker says: " for each
> thousandth of a second that its
> trading software can act faster than competitors'
> software, the company would
> see $100 million a year in new revenue."

and for every extra trade they do they change the
stock price faster and faster making them more money.
They're creating the money by manipulating the market
faster; the market doesn't create itself... How can
they even quantify this so called loss when their
trading is constantly changing the state of the
market.

> It seems to me that they are really misunderstanding
> the problem. What they
> need is a system that's fast most of the time,
> rather than one that meets an
> arbitary deadline all the time. In other words they
> need a fast system, not a
> realtime system.

I would imagine an extra 100 million would buy quite a
dusy of a system at that... processing data at a rate
of 1000 Hz doesn't seem to suggest a real-time system
is required when the average clock is 1 million times
faster then that. its not like they're doing FFT's on
a Radar signal, to determine if its a bogey and arming
the appropriate countermeasures so they can be
deployed the second the blip appears on the operators
screen.

-brian