Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 1996 23:35:23 -0600 (MDT)
From:      wes@intele.net
To:        ptroot@uswest.com (Paul T. Root)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Transferring drive from Solaris 2.4 to FreeBSD

Paul T. Root writes:
 > I have a couple of SyQuest EZ135 drives, one on my Sparc Tadpole
 > (Solaris 2.4) at work and one on my 486 FreeBSD box at home. The
 > drive works great on both boxes, and the obvious next step is to
 > have both machines use the same disk so I can move 100 Meg at a
 > time without using the 28.8 line.
 >
 > Is this possible? I configured the disk on FreeBSD to not
 > interoperate with other OSs on the PC. Which I read to mean that It
 > ignores fdisk stuff and just writes to the whole disk. But that
 > still wouldn't mount on my Sparc.

If you don't make a filesystem on them, and just use the "raw" disk
device as input/output for tar, it should work.  I use floppies this
way frequently.  I.e.

	$ tar cvzf /dev/rfd0 .

[drive home]

	$ tar xvzf /dev/rfd0

[continue working]

This skips around incompatibilities in filesystem layout and such by
not using an filesystem.

--
   Wes Peters	|
    Softweyr 	|   Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?