Date:      Thu,  2 Mar 1995 18:10:19 UTC+0100
From:      Javier Martin Rueda <jmrueda@diatel.upm.es>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   System hangs when changing root device

I've received a new computer where I was planning to install FreeBSD. The
hardware configuration is as follows:

Intel 486DX2-66S
PCI+VESA mainboard with UMC chipset and Award 4.50G, rev B BIOS
16 Mb
Buslogic 946c
Conner CFP1060S SCSI hard disk (1.05 Gb)
SMC EtherPower 8432
SBC 550 serial port card (2 serial ports with 16550A UART)
3.5" FDD

I created a boot disk with rawrite (using the "newer" bootdisk from FreeBSD
2.0-RELEASE) and everything was probed OK, but after the message "changing
root device to fd0c" appeared, the computer freezed.

At that stage, the system was supposed to welcome me and display the fancy
installation menu and all that, but that didn't happen. It just hung with no
more messages, no beeps, no disk activity, nothing.

I have tried with a boot disk from FreeBSD 1.1.5.1 with similar results. The
hardware devices were probed OK (except for the SMC EtherPower, which wasn't
listed), and after saying "changing root device to fd0d", the computer freezed
again.

Does anyone have any idea of what can be wrong? Do you know of any
incompatibilities among the hardware components, or among FreeBSD and that
hardware?

I'm going to try with a new motherboard with Opti chipset, but I don't know if
that will work fine.

In the meantime, any help would be appretiated.