Date:      Thu, 02 Aug 2001 20:36:47 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        DAlSault@aol.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: can't ftp connect

[Always send a copy of your questions to the list. Always ask your
questions at the list. You never know if somebody tries to look up your
problem in the list archives, saving traffic from the list. In addition,
you're fortunate I'm not yet in bed -- the clock ticks a little
different over the pond.]

DAlSault@aol.com wrote:

> Thanks! I've connected to the German server you mentioned in your
> email, so the American servers must just be busy. The world must
> be downloading Unix.
> [snip]
> When I download the two image files to two floppies and install
> FreeBSD from those two floppies, does the install automatically
> partition my hard drive and give it a FreeBSD slice?

FreeBSD can leave your existing partitions intact. If you got the whole
disk dedicated to some other operating system, you have to get some free
room first. This is covered in the handbooks installation section.

> Or am I supposed to use other software to partition my drive
> before I install FreeBSD from the two Floppies?

It is up to you how you make room for FreeBSD. Several methods exist. I
personally prefer to backup any existing software to tape, the install
FreeBSD in a 256M root partition, format another 1GB partition for
winblows c:\, the rest gets divided between BSD and unix. After
installing FreeBSD, the winblows backup is put back onto the c:
partition using BSD tools.

> I'm afraid I'll mistakenly try to install FreeBSD over my present
> OS or apps. It should be explained up front somewhere for the
> absolute newbie if the partition is done automatically or not.

That's a real problem. Anyhow, if you goof up your windows partition, a
fresh install will clean up all of that crap you collected for a few
months now ;*)

N.B: If it's not on backup, you have never done it.

HTH
-Christoph Sold