Date:      Thu, 08 Nov 2001 11:48:54 +1100
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>
Cc:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Backup Tapes - Advise sought

wash@wananchi.com said:
> I need to buy a tape drive. Some sales geek has suggested HP Surestore
> DAT40 - a DDS-4 tape drive. I've gotten mixed up with this DDS and DLT
> stuff. What's the difference? I am not quite familiar with tapes.

> Does someone recommend something else different than the one here?  I
> also welcome any reasons supporting some particular type of tape
> drive.

It depends a lot on how much you want to backup, how much you want
to allow for "future-proofing", and how big your budget is.

The DDS tapes are very small, which is their biggest advantage ;-)
We have a DDS-3 drive (I think) from HP in one of our NT servers.
I don't have much to do with it (hence not being sure if it's DDS-3)
but I know within three months of getting we had to replace the drive.
Twice.  Since the second replacement we've had 18 months trouble-free
but still...

Both DDS and DLT are getting to be fairly old technologies, and
are having trouble squeezing in additional capacity to meet the
growing amounts of data people want to back up.

In comparing capacities, you also want to look at what data you're
backing up, and what the uncompressed and compressed capacities of
the tape drives are.  We have a DLT 7000 which is backing up just
over 70 GB on a database server.  Note that 70 GB is the claimed
compressed maximum for DLT-7000, but our database software reserves
lots of space and doesn't compress data, which makes it a perfect
candidate for compressed backups.  A more realistic assessment for
DLT-7000 is considered to be about 50 GB per tape.

There is a slightly higher capacity DLT-8000, but again I refer to
my claim that they're having trouble squeezing in extra capacity.
The DLT-8000 standard arrived about two years overdue, and doesn't
offer much over DLT-7000.  I would suggest that the only point in
going this path is to protect an existing investment.

If you need good capacity (50 GB plus) and tapes that will be
readable in drives you might have in a few years time (on the
assumption that if you want ~50 GB now, in a few years that will
have grown to 100+ GB) then you should look at a newer technology
such as AIT or LTO (LTO is the "technology" used in Ultrium tape
drives).  The cartridges have a better uncompressed capacity, and
the compression algorithm tends to work better (MUCH better) than
DLT.

Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319