Date:      Fri, 25 Jul 2003 22:34:40 -0400
From:      Damian Gerow <damian@sentex.net>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   mpd as PPPoE client

Due to recent threads about using mpd as the PPPoE client, I've decided to
give it a shot.  I've had mixed success.

I'm basically using PPPoE from mpd.conf.dist, but with vjcomp disabled
(thanks, Bell) and the username/password changed.  I was successfully able
to authenticate earlier today three times, but then I noticed that the
kernel had loaded some modules that I hadn't compiled in.  So I happily
recompiled the kernel, and now it doesn't work.

The problem lies in the service name.  I hadn't touched it, but after that
kernel recompile, it now continuously probes for the service 'whatever' (the
default).  Do I *really* have to find out the service name to stick in there
manually?  Why did it work before?

I'm positive this is some misconfiguration I've done, but I just can't
figure out where.  I've gone over mpd.conf, mpd.links, and mpd.secret a
number of times now, and they all look fine to me.  Because it worked
before, I didn't pay attention to the mpd startup to see how it dealt with
retrieving the service name, so I don't know what behaviour I'm looking for.

This is a brand new 5.1-R machine, with mpd 3.13.  If it makes any
difference, I've tried service names of blank, no service name, and defining
the service name as the authentication suffix (@sentex.ca).

Any pointers?  Specific places to look?  Configuration suggestions?  TIA...