Date:      Wed, 17 Jun 1998 00:11:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Michael Elbel <me>
To:        viren@rstcorp.com
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XEmacs and sound?

In lists.freebsd.multimedia you write:

>I'm having problems getting XEmacs to use the sound card on FreeBSD.

[...]

>I can play audio CDs thru the sound card. However XEmacs wil not play
>any sounds. It emits an error message of:
>audio: SNDCTL_DSP_SETFMT, Undefined error: 0

Hmm, do you hear anything if you do something like

	cat /usr/local/share/sounds/train.au >/dev/audio

I'm certainly hearing sound here when I do

	(play-sound-file "something.au")

on my xemacs-20.4. I've compiled it from source tho instead of
using the package. You could try that as well.

>This the the XEmacs package for 2.2.6. And the sounds that it is
>trying to play are .au files from the distribution. I'm not sure
>whether it is trying to use the /dev/speaker device, or any of the
>others.

I guess it should try to use /dev/audio. /dev/speaker isn't configured
by default.

Michael

--
\|/