Date:      Mon, 23 Apr 2001 13:58:43 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Charlie Watts <cewatts@frontier.net>
To:        Shawn Ostapuk <shawno@inficad.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum configuration

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Shawn Ostapuk wrote:

> After upgrading to 4.3 from 4.2 my vinum configuration seems
> to have stopped working.
<snip>
> Both drives are there and seem fine, only other odd behavior is..
<snip>
>   c: 60074721        0     vinum                    	# (Cyl.    0 - 59597*)
> Warning, partition c is not marked as unused!
> Warning, An incorrect partition c may cause problems for standard
> system utilities
<snip>
> Am i doing something wrong? I've had this working fine for about a
> year now and never had problems upgrading, this 4.3 release seems to
> have broke it but I cant say I know why.

Partition C is a "special" partition representing the whole disk. It is
explicitly forbidden to use it for volumes.

I believe that new versions of Vinum enforce this restriction.

You should be able to fix this by creating a duplicate entry in your
disklabel with another partition letter ...

c: 60074721        0     unused                   	# (Cyl.    0 - 59597*)
e: 60074721        0     vinum                    	# (Cyl.    0 - 59597*)

And then re-creating your vinum conf with e instead of c.

[ Someone should yell at me if I'm wrong, but I suspect that's all it will
take. ]

--
                          "Here's another baseball glove", Tom admitted.

Charlie Watts
cewatts@frontier.net