Date:      Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:38:11 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        Baldur Gislason <baldur@foo.is>, Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org>, "Devon H. O'Dell" <dodell@offmyserver.com>
Subject:   Re: prioritizing small ip packets?

--nextPart1365293.5FHxlCvz8t

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 06:14, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
> This is true, prioritizing ACKs is very useful when you want to download
> with full speed while uploading.  But I tend to agree with Baldur's idea
> too : I give HTTP and DNS requests as well as interactive SSH session
> (TOS field set to "low delay") a heavy weight in order to have them
> practically unaffected by a big mail delivery or a scp.

There is still a problem whereby a large packet in transit can't be=20
interrupted by a smaller packet.

One solution I saw for this when doing VoIP over ADSL was using PPPoE and=20
setting it up for multi-link over one link. The packets get fragmented into=
=20
smaller pieces and the fragments of smaller packets get higher priorities.

Not sure how much over head it cost, but ISTR it wasn't too bad.

=2D-=20
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum