Date:      Sat, 25 Jan 2003 01:04:50 -0500
From:      Dale Woolridge <dale-list-freebsd-smp-3@woolridge.org>
To:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Mark Lastdrager <mark.lastdrager@pine.nl>, Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
Subject:   Re: Abit SMP boards under FreeBSD (was Re: dnetc on xeon)

On 19-Oct-2002 12:07 Dale Woolridge wrote:

|     I believe it when you say FreeBSD runs perfectly on the VP6, but I'm at
|     a point where (I think) I need to either replace the board or the CPUs.
|     I would hate to get a new board only to find I really needed new CPUs.
|     I'm really suspicious of the board, and don't know enough to understand
|     the signifance of why disabling the L2 cache suddenly made my UP system
|     stable.  If anyone has any helpful suggestions, either about the L2 cache,
|     or how to distinguish a board problem from a CPU problem, I'd appreciate
|     hearing them very much.  In the meantime, I'll probably try swapping my
|     CPUs just to see what happens.  A friend suggested popping out one of the
|     CPUs and enabling the L2 cache again; anyone else think this might be a
|     fruitful effort?

As I've found new information about the VP6, I thought I'd post about it
in case there are other VP6 FreeBSD users out there.  A Steven E. Smith
suggested I swap my CPUs, which I did to no avail.  I'd like to pretend
my system is more stable now, but I don't think it is.

Recently, I discovered an article (http://www.vp6-board.com/caps1.htm),
which makes mention of faulty/poor quality capacitors.  For now, I'm
taking the article as gospel and going ahead with the changes.

Since I had a BP6 with a blown cap, I decided to work on that board
before going ahead with the VP6.  Also, someone posted (here) an
article about issues with the BP6, so I added that to the job.  Since
the BP6 repairs were so successful, I went ahead with the VP6 repairs
yesterday.

I'm happy to report that my system is incredibly stable now and I can
actually use both CPUs.  Prior to this, I couldn't boot into SMP or, if
I could, it would only be for seconds; even UP was extremely unstable.
--
-Dale