Date:      Fri, 15 Aug 2008 12:43:28 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        Ross <westr@connection.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: isp(4) - setting debug mode flags

Ross wrote:
> Has anyone successfully set the debug mode flags in the isp(4) drivers
> on boot for Freebsd 7.0?
>
> The man page states that setting "hint.isp.0.debug" should do the
> trick, but setting it to any value doesn't cause anything to happen.
>
> Checking the code shows isp_pci.c is doing a getenv_int("isp_debug",
> &bitmap), which looks like setting that kernel variable should do it,
> but still no go.
>
> So I'm wondering if anyone else got it working in the past, and if so,
> what did you set for maximum debugging?
>
> (Reason is that I'm trying to track down a bug that causes the kernel
> to crash occasionally on boot, in a boot-from-san configuration.)
>
> Cheers,
>   Ross.

First thing to check is whether what you're setting is actually making
it into the kernel environment and is what you expect it to be.  Run
'kenv' on a running system and look for the hint.isp.0.debug string.
Second, it looks like ISP_LOGDEBUG1 is the only flag that has any
special meaning, make sure you set that as well as ISP_LOGWARN and
ISP_LOGERR (the default flags).

Scott