Date:      Sun, 15 Mar 1998 10:56:05 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Aleksey Zvyagin <zal@rest.ru>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help! Upgrade 2.2.5-RELEASE to 2.2-STABLE.

On Sat, 14 March 1998 at 11:12:27 -0800, Annelise Anderson wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
>>> Help me, please anyone.
>>> I used the cvsup utility for a upgrade from 2.2.5-RELEASE to 2.2-STABLE
>>> (only the 'src-sys' capability)
>>
>> Sigh..  This has been talked about for at least the last week in the
>> -stable.
>>
>> Perhaps it's time to make subscription to the list *mandatory* before
>> someone is allowed to cvsup the -stable bits?  We're just going to get
>> FAQ'd to death in the future if we don't do something like this, I'm
>> really worried about that.
>>
>> P.S.  As has been covered in *great* detail this last week, and as is
>> also available via the mailing list archives, edit /dev/wd0a to be the
>> fully-slice-qualified name, like the other entries.  e.g. /dev/wd0s1a.
>
> This is a recurring problem.  In an earlier version of -stable there
> was the login.conf problem and also at some time the need to add
> something to /etc/group.
>
> Obviously it doesn't work to respond to questions in freebsd-questions
> (people don't read it until they run into trouble) or the newsgroup.
> And not everyone subscribes to -stable.  What you need is a README file
> that arrives with the sources and ends up in /usr/src and has the latest
> info on what has to be done that the make world won't do.

How would that help?  That which we called ERRATA.TXT by any other
name would be read as little.  We had this errata about login.conf in
the root directory of the 2.2.2 CD-ROM, but that didn't stop people
asking all the time.

I think that basically, we're lumbered with a certain amount of "I
can't be bothered to RTFM, I'll ask somebody to do the work for me"
questions.  Apart from pointing these things out again and again,
there's not much you can do.

Greg