Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 1996 14:21:13 -0800
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        coredump@nervosa.com
Cc:        pst@shockwave.com, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/local/libexec vs /usr/local/sbin

 * Well in that case, the identd port needs to be update, ill email the
 * maintainer, still wondering about the man pages though.

The manpages are in /usr/local/man for historical reasons.  We've been
shipping an /etc/manpath.config with "/usr/local/man" for ages and it
will be too much of a pain to change it now.  Also, virtually no
third-party software installs man pages in /usr/local/share/man, which
means we have to go patch the 400+ ports.

 * Also, what exactly do you mean by "standalone", in.telnetd could be
 * classified as standalone, couldn't it?

I'm not sure what Paul meant about the standalone part.  Our policy is
that things that could be started from root's command line goes to
sbin and those that are only called from other programs go in
libexec.  ("sbin" is expected to be in root's PATH, "libexec" is not.)

Satoshi