Date:      Thu, 28 Oct 2004 10:49:29 +0300
From:      Omer Faruk Sen <ofsen@enderunix.org>
To:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mysql high cpu usage problem

Hi,

I have a system with apache+php+mysql. The system was fine for a long time
but my problem started a few weeks ago.

I have two 2.8 Ghz Xeon CPU's. Hyperthreading is enabled. 2 gigs of RAM.
machdep.hlt_logical_cpus=0 and polling is enabled.

Mysql (which was compiled with linux_threads and staticly linked libraries)
has started to consume lots of cpu time (mainly system and nice times)

Here's a moment from top output:
last pid: 60888;  load averages: 114.70, 114.42, 115.72
up 2+01:10:28  10:44:18
3 processes:   2 running, 1 sleeping
CPU states:  1.7% user, 52.3% nice, 44.9% system,  1.1% interrupt,  0.0%
idle
Mem: 494M Active, 1034M Inact, 357M Wired, 97M Cache, 199M Buf, 21M Free
Swap: 3072M Total, 104K Used, 3072M Free

What's worth attention here is that, cpu spends nearly all of its time
in kernel mode.

Number of hits, the web server gets did not change much, maybe a little
rise.

Can you please provide some info tracking down the problem?

Omer Faruk Sen
http://www.EnderUNIX.ORG
Software Development Team @ Turkey
http://www.Faruk.NET
For Public key: http://www.enderunix.org/ofsen/ofsen.asc

First Turkish FreeBSD book is out! Go check it.
Duydunuz mu! Turkiye'nin ilk FreeBSD kitabi cikti.
http://www.acikkod.com/freebsd.php