Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 2002 20:44:29 +0200
From:      Udo Schweigert <Udo.Schweigert@siemens.com>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@freebsd-services.com>
Cc:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>, Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>, Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfilter not broken for me

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 17:45:05 +0100, Brian Somers wrote:
>> is
>> sts
> >>=20
> >> I have not received any email about it.  I tested building all the ipfilt=
>> er
> >> binaries and kernel after the import and came up clean.  if ref5 was a bit
> >> quicker....
> >>=20
>> That was probably a local problem on one of the Brian's fast machines
>> where I initially attempted to finally test my patch (unsynched cvsup
>> update?).  Sorry for the false alarm, I can't check it right now anyway.
>
> Yes...  I've had periods where the compiler drops cores all over the
> place, and other periods where things work fine.  It's on a P4-1.7Ghz
> and has behaved like this since about last August.
>
> The only variable is the kernel - some kernels work and some don't.
> I've spent many 10s of hours trying to track it down, and I still
> have no idea what causes it - except that some kernels ``just work''
> and some don't.
>
> Maybe it depends on the humidity in the room when a kernel is built
> or something - and I'm only half joking here !
>
> FWIW ru, /boot/kernel/kernel seems ok now.  /boot/kernel.sig/kernel
> isn't.

I discovered the same problem here for a P4-1.7Ghz with -stable.

First thing I discovered: this only happens if you have "-pipe" in your
CFLAGS in /etc/make.conf. It seems something with pipe handling is broken
on these fast machines, which makes cc fail.

Currently I'm trying to figure out which commit brought that in. Probabilty
is high that it has to do with ipfilter, but I'm not quite sure.

Definitively it is not a problem local to Brian.

Best regards

Udo Schweigert
--
Udo Schweigert, Siemens AG   | Voice      : +49 89 636 42170
CT IC 3, Siemens CERT        | Fax        : +49 89 636 41166