Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 2001 09:12:18 -0500
From:      Paul MacKenzie <pc.mackenzie@utoronto.ca>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Switch from MD5 to DES on 4.2 FreeBSD: cannot set password   cipher problem was the CAPS on MD5

Lowell,

THANK-YOU!!

Wow something so small as the case (for both MD5 and DES) made the
difference to making the passwd give that very odd error. It is weird I did
not see this mentioned in the docs / messages as I thought I followed them
exactly. Must be my inexperience. :)

Ah well, all is better now, and thanks again for your help

:passwd_format=md5:\

(works)

Cheers

Paul