Date:      Fri, 9 Apr 2004 10:07:07 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Tadimeti Keshav <keshav_tadimeti@yahoo.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can I shrink an existing slice

--cWoXeonUoKmBZSoM

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 11:53:35PM +0100, Tadimeti Keshav wrote:

> I know this might not be possible; but can I shrink a
> freeBSD slice to make room for linux?

Not easily.  You have to backup the data, change the slicing using
fdisk(8), rebuild the FreeBSD partitions using disklabel(8) or
bsdlabel(8), create new filesystems using newfs(8) and then restore
all of your data from the backup.  As you'll presumably be wiping out
the OS installation you usually boot from in the course of that,
you'll need a bootable CD Rom or somesuch to work from.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way