Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 2002 12:48:11 -0700
From:      James Long <list@ns.museum.rain.com>
To:        Jason Cribbins <freebsdlist@kibserv.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world lasts longer than the energizer bunny

> This is a keyboardless box (something fried on motherboard long ago) that I
> had to initiate the make world through telnet on a windoze box.  If I had
> know it was going to take this much time I would have telneted from another
> freebsd box.  My windoze machines typically need to be rebooted every few
> days to clean up memory leaks.
> I might be in trouble here.

Tip 1: run the make in the background.  For instance I have a
script called /root/mbw which does a little prep, and the
"make buildworld" step.  I invoke it thusly:

/root/mbw >mbw.out 2>&1 &

That makes /root/mbw run, sending its standard output and standard error
to mbw.out, and runs it in the background, so that I don't have to keep
the ssh (or telnet) session active for the duration of the make.

To check the progress, inspect mbw.out, perhaps with

tail -f mbw.out

Tip 2: I haven't done a lot of build worlds, but by the procedure I use,
at some point, you're going to have to log in directly on the console of
the keyboardless box.  If you have it set up to use a serial console to
bypass the non-functional keyboard interface which I am inferring, that
will work, but the make installword is best done in single-user mode,
when telnet/ssh are not at your disposal.  I would think a 486 with a
fried keyboard interface would be worth about the same as a first-class
postage stamp.  Perhaps you could upgrade to a P90 or better?  They're
cheap also, probably will mount in the same case, and might even use
the same 72-pin RAM, if your 486 uses 72-pin memory.

Listen to Kris on time estimates.  My PII-400 (192M) or dual 450 (704M)
machines build in about 60-90 minutes.