Date:      26 Sep 2001 12:34:04 -0400
From:      Vivek Khera <khera@kcilink.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /boot/loader.conf vs /etc/sysctl.conf for tuning

that has been posted to ml.freebsd.questions as well.

KH> I'd go with the first document and add it to /boot/loader.conf.local. This
KH> file usually doesn't exist, so create it. I don't think it hurts setting it
KH> early.

Yes, but some sysctls must be in /boot/loader.conf and others must be
in /etc/sysctl.conf.  Which ones go where is not well documented.  It
seems to be something you have to determine empirically.

If you can do it via the command line with the sysctl command, then it
goes in /etc/sysctl.conf. If the systems says "read only" when you try
that, then put it in /boot/loader.conf.

Putting the sysctl setting in the wrong place generally leads to it
being ignored.