Date:      Sat, 16 Apr 2005 20:47:16 +0200
From:      Danny Pansters <danny@ricin.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: KDE not starting. Cannot start kdeinit

<snip>

> > You shouldn't copy xinit and you shouldn't use 'exec' to run
> > startkde. Just put only 'startkde' (without the quotes) in your
> > ~/.xinitrc instead.
>
> I don't use KDE as a desktop a lot (though I do use KMail and some other
> apps), but I've always had exec startkde in my .xinitrc when I want to
> use the whole KDE, and I've never run into any problems like the OP
> described. In fact, I've never heard anyone advise what you did. Not to
> doubt you, but I don't see the connection, as it's never been an issue
> for me. Do you have a reference for this?

IIRC exec used to be needed for some reason, but that's been a while, merely
startkde (which is just a shell script) will do. I agree that this doesn't
explain OP's problem, but copying over xinit to .xinitrc and editing is not a
great way to get started.

Anyway, there must be a reason why kdeinit returns non-zero in startkde, and
my first thought would be to run /usr/local/etc/rc.d/kdelibs.sh to make sure
it can find the libraries it needs. (or reboot)

HTH,

Dan