Date:      Thu, 17 Jul 2014 00:58:29 +0400
From:      Lev Serebryakov <lev@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        gerald@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Any chances to reduce number of gcc ports/packages which are installed as BINARY PACKAGES dependencies?

Hello, FreeBSD.

 On my laptop with 11-CURRENT and binary packages I have THREE versions of
 gcc:

 (1) gcc-4.7.x, required (in runtime!) by gnuradio, gimp and others, I think, via
 "blas"/"lapack" package.

 (2) gcc-ecj-4.5, required by gcc-4.7.x (LOL WUT?! It is plain mad!)

 (3) gcc48-4.8.z, required (in runtime!) by rawtherapee.

 It is about 750MiB of disk space. FOR WHAT? For two files libgcc_s.so?

 Maybe, we should encourage ports, which is needed gcc, to use only one
 version? If many ports needs 4.8, maybe, we should bump "any" version to
 4.8 for gcc-less systems? And move all other versions to 4.8?

 Here is today statistics:

   2 4.6
   1 4.7
   4 4.8+
 138 any
 141 yes

 Or, maybe, there IS way to link to libgcc_s/libstdc++ statically? I bet,
 most of these ports needs ONLY libgcc_s at runtime.

 Or build binary packages WITHOUT java by default!? Does anybody uses gcj
 FOR REAL when we have native openjdk7 and openjdk8?!

--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev@FreeBSD.org>